The right kind of information technology (IT) services can be of immense value to businesses of all kinds. Having such capabilities as part of an organization, however, is not always feasible, and outsourcing or offshoring, especially to foreign countries has been the strategic business decision for several years now. This is a business model that is used across the public and private sectors and brings with it several benefits.
IT outsourcing has also become the norm when organizations want to focus on core competencies and not develop and maintain IT teams. Another aspect of this is when an organization already has an IT team, but does not want to burden it with newer technologies or new hires. Technology costs and their maintenance is usually quite high and IT outsourcing can significantly reduce these costs for any organization. These are some of the IT services that you can consider outsourcing:
- IT strategizing, budget development and technology planning
- Round-the-clock onsite and remote user support
- Network administration
- Patch management
- Help desk services
- Onsite and remote support
- Infrastructural upgrades
- App development
- Backup management
- New technology roll outs
- Cloud computing and its management
- Network management and more
This blog details how you can find the right offshore developers with the relevant technology and the expertise that your business requires – all at a reasonable budget. We will explore whether hiring an outsourcing team makes sense for your business, the benefits of outsourcing, a five-step process to hiring an offshore team, and tips to ensure your outsourcing efforts pay off the appropriate dividends.
Should You Hire an Offshore Team?
There are several concerns with hiring an offshore team, the foremost of which is finding a dependable partner with a reasonable risk/reward balance. Smart business planning involves first evaluating the need for an offshore team. While the benefits of the offshoring are undeniable, a company has to analyze whether the effort is worth the dynamics of working with another international team and whether it truly contributes to the growth of the company. Here are 10 questions you can ask to understand whether your business can benefit from offshoring:
If your organization experiences a dynamic influx of business, regular access to extra capacity can be beneficial. Your organization will not have to turn away any business and you need not have full-time resources on your roll for when something does come in.
Many businesses find themselves stretching thin when trying to do it all. An offshoring team for repetitive technical tasks or for activities that tend to take away time from working on core competencies is the ideal solution.
With the progress of any project, clients tend to have a lot of questions and your team’s time can be consumed in answering them. Hiring an offshore technical consultative team as your resource can help deal with this. While your organization remains the expert consultant, you have a team supporting you with regular project reviews and related technical paperwork.
Many organizations make the mistake of scaling up with existing staff and competencies and then stretching themselves too thin. If you are planning to expand, an offshore team is the best low-risk growth strategy you can consider.
If you are moving your business to the SaaS model, then it would be a good plan to hire an offshore team. While your in-house team can continue to manage your existing clients and new online projects without a disruption, the offshore team can work on your SaaS model. This gives your business the time and flexibility it needs to grow in the sector.
Each project that your organization takes on may require a different set of skills. It’s not always feasible to have such skilled teams on your team who sit idle in between projects. Working with offshore teams ensures that you have qualified teams with expertise in a range of technologies for whenever you require them.
Many companies have plans to develop initiatives within the organization. Often these are put on the back burner for lack of time or resources. However, they remain crucial to the growth of your company. Outsourcing these initiatives to technically sound teams can help you get things off the ground.
4 Reasons to hire an Offshore Development Team
- When it is cost-effective for your business – when executed the correct way, outsourcing a project reduces labor and operational costs. With outsourcing, the focus remains specifically on your project, ensuring efficiency.
- When it provides your business with needed flexibility – Many organizations do not want to set aside their core competency, but don’t want to turn away business too. Outsourcing ensures that both aspects are well taken care of.
- When your business requires advanced skills – Some projects that come in require skills that your current team may not possess. Training the team or hiring a new one can take a long time to put in place. Outsourcing then becomes the simplest way to securing quality talent that can execute your project efficiently.
- When maintaining consistent quality is essential – Outsourcing gives your business the ability to handpick the teams with the best technical prowess and resources to execute your project.
READ : Scaling to the ‘New Normal’
7 Benefits of Hiring a Dedicated Offshore development team
- A wider pool of talent: Hiring an offshore development team provides you with a wider pool of talent to tap for your projects. It reduces the need to hire new staff or retrain existing ones. Synchronizing work is not an issue any longer with advanced and secure communication systems.
- Better agility: With an offshore development team, the projects the company works on tends to become more agile and quick to respond to any changes or challenges. Since the offshore team works to support your internal team, project work remains consistently on track despite changing priorities. The benefit is particularly seen in repetitive tasks that need specific changes such as the launch of new projects, technology migrations, etc.
- Faster project start times: Hiring a new team to work on a project will mean an adjustment period. Till the team is in sync, work does not begin in earnest and this can affect outcomes. With a dedicated offshore development team, businesses can enjoy a shorter start cycle because the team is already in sync amongst themselves. The project can be started as soon as the agreement is arrived at.
- Multiple collaborative sessions: Offshore teams have dedicated members who interact with your organization and your client ensuring high levels of engagement. This gives your organization strong control over the project and its proceedings. Collaborative sessions increase productivity and ensure some great results.
- Unwavering focus: With an offshore team, you can be sure that their focus does not waver from your project. In-house teams often have to deal with several internal issues that may distract them. The offshore team can effortlessly deal with all developments on the project.
- Better value-for-money: Going with an offshore team is a better utilization of financial resources. New projects require significant investment in recruitment, software, hardware, and more. Projects sometimes end up costing much more than originally agreed on. All this is managed well with an offshore team. There is almost no investment involved from your organization for resources – people or machines. A financial framework, based on milestones can be set up for the offshore team, giving you better control over finances.
- Better industry and technical expertise: When you hire an offshore team, you can partner with one that has the exact industry experience you are looking for. They will be able to pre-empt certain challenges. They are also aware of what the competition is doing in the same field. In terms of technical expertise as well, offshore teams tend to be well-versed in the latest versions of technologies simply because they need to remain competitive. Your company can easily leverage such technical expertise to the maximum.
Why India is The Most Reliable Country to Hire Offshore Developers?
India has consistently ranked among the top nations to provide offshore developers. Here are the top reasons why India has managed to retain that position consistently for years.
- Large pools of talent: India has a large pool of technologically advanced talent. While most countries also have a good talent pool, finding the right number of people with a specific technological capability can sometimes be difficult. India offers a wide range of qualified, technology experts who easily fit into the required roles. You will find teams to work with a wide range of technologies such as React Native development, Python, HTML5, AngularJS, ASP.NET, PJP, QA assurance, iOS, mobile apps, blockchain, and more.
- The common medium of communication– English: Most large companies in the western world prefer to have all corporate communication in English. In India, English is a major stream of instruction in educational institutions, making it easy to communicate with international collaborators. While there may be a few cultural differences in the use of language, it remains the primary means of collaborative communication.
- Cost-effective proposition: Offshoring work to India is a cost-effective proposition for most international organizations. Research has shown that companies can bring down their IT spend by almost 30 per cent when they outsource to India.
- Sound technical knowledge: Indian programmers are highly skilled in the latest technologies and are constantly upgrading themselves as well. You will find a professional for every kind of technical requirement you may have. You will also find professionals who may be well experienced in projects similar to what you are hiring for.
- Time zone benefits: The time difference between India and most of the Western world is usually that of night and day. Working with the Indian offshore team ensures that your business is technically working round the clock. Most Indian teams tend to work in shifts on projects ensuring there is no halt in the work.
- Flexible hiring options: As a business, you are looking for the best possible option in a budget that is suitable for your organization. India offers a wide range in terms of technological knowledge and experience that professionals offer. This gives you a good base with which to hire the one that ticks all the right boxes.
READ : Why They Love India
How to Hire Offshore Development Teams
It’s important as a business that you go about systematically hiring an offshore development team. This ensures accountability and collaboration with the right resources. Here is a 5-step approach to it.
- Place your Requirement call in the right places:
There are thousands of programmers and their teams that you can hire. The important thing is to find the one most suitable for your requirements. Evaluating expertise is not an easy task and requires a tremendous amount of testing. The starting point is a quality pool of talent. Placing a call for hiring in the right places is important.
- Filter the Responses:
Naturally, you will receive several responses. Create a filter that best addresses every requirement of your business from start to finish. Filter through the responses based on these parameters and you will arrive at a narrowed down list that you can start looking through.
- Examine Portfolios in detail:
With the narrowed down list, examine each project offered up as experience, in detail. Look at time frames, software, and hardware used, any challenges that have been addressed, languages, and tools used to ascertain whether they are the right fit. Also, look at the length of collaboration with each brand they have worked with before. Long-term projects and client retention are great signs of a steady offshore partner.
- Hold personal interviews:
Programmer representatives can be interviewed to answer any additional questions you may have. This is a time to ask about technical capabilities, possible challenges, and how they will be addressed, a broad idea on the developmental processes they follow, among other clarifications. Such questions can be well answered only with personal meetings.
- Sort your candidates:
Personal interviews help narrow down to the last few possible teams and your choice becomes simpler. At this stage, you can get into finer details and try and understand how each team would handle your project and what they bring to the table. Assessing their ability to think quickly, adapt, and carry forward the project is key to making your final decision.
Tips for Successful Outsourcing
Once you have signed on an offshore outsourcing team, there are a few tips you can follow to ensure the collaboration is a successful one.
- Elaborate scope and timelines: This may sound like the natural first step, but often a lot gets lost between the lines. Have a clear definition of what the project is about and its end goal. Only then will your collaborator be able to present the right proposals to execute the project. Provide as much information as possible and clearly outline timeframes and milestones that have to be achieved. Be realistic in your expectations. Accelerating any aspect of the project can derail it completely.
- Work with offshore teams that have specific experience: When choosing your offshore collaborators, always try to find those that have similar work experience as required by your project. This gives you insight into better ways to execute a project. For example, if you are building an internal app for use in a hospital, ensure that your offshore partner has experience doing this. You don’t want your company to be the R&D point for an offshore team aiming to get into the sector. Ask for samples and portfolios and even make your calls to verify the quality of work. This goes a long way in protecting your business.
- Never base your choice on price: Every business has to look after their bottom line. However, quality work by experienced people comes at a premium price which you should be willing to pay if you are sure of the quality you will receive. Remember that a cheaper price does not assure you of quality. And the choice may prove to be an expensive one if the project is not executed well and ends up needing multiple changes and redoing.
- Be legally clear on work ownership: With any form of outsourcing, you must be legally the owner of all that is created. There are several components to such an agreement and having your legal team draft every aspect of it is important.
- Include support in project deliverables: Every project requires a level of support after hand over. There are always a few nitty-gritties that has to be ironed out. Negotiating this right at the beginning is a good idea. Attempting to get support from a third party can prove problematic for the project and your image with the client.
- Evaluate your offshore team as you would an employee: All through the collaboration, you must evaluate the proposals, systems, and functioning of the offshore team as you would an internal employee. Engage with them to understand how things can be smoothened further and be open to feedback as well. This ensures good collaboration and quality results.
- Clear payments with pre-defined milestones: To safeguard your business and to ensure that the project meets its timelines, always tie payment of a project to its key milestones. This keeps the offshore team on its toes and assures you that things will go smoothly enough. A good rule of thumb is a 20 to 30 per cent upfront payment followed by 3-4 key milestones at which the rest of the payments are made.
Suyati’s Capabilities as a Reliable Outsourcing Partner
Suyati Technologies has been an outsourcing partner since 2009. Over the years, they accrued several accolades and recognitions. They have had some impressive partnerships over the past decade –
Suyati also works on multiple platforms
Suyati Technologies offers consulting in CXSaaS, DSaaS, and Project Engineering. Among the fluid solutions on offer include the Buyer Rhythm Engine, Lead Prioritization, Customer Lifetime Value, Chatbot, Account-based marketing, and online proctoring solutions.
What makes Suyati stand apart from is their concept of Dedicated Global Team (DGT). The concept gives any business looking for an offshoring partner THREE great reasons to hire Suyati as their outsourcing partner:
- Cost Plus pricing model: Suyati Technologies works on a transparent cost plus model and makes it clear at the outset what their costs are and what profit margins they are looking at.
- Timely delivery guaranteed: Suyati Technologies have cracked that elusive formula. A project is delivered on time, simply because it is co-managed by your company’s and Suyati’s project managers.
- The DGT works only on your project, ensuring you get all the attention and expertise you need without any dilution.
Collaborating with offshore teams can benefit businesses that are looking to expand and work in newer technologies. It allows the management of your business to focus on strategizing, growth plans, and team building while project management and technical details are managed by a trusted partner.