Remember the days when you would just pop into your neighborhood grocery store to stock up on your weekly purchases and the head grocer would simply not let you leave without enquiring about your children, your parents, and throwing in a freshly-picked apple for good measure? In today’s fast-paced world, where brands are too busy searching for their next customer, customer personalization is very important to pay attention to their existing clients.
According to a study by Eco Consultancy, 72% of companies in today’s space claim to not understand the purpose or process behind website personalization. Content personalization is a form of marketing where company websites are used as tools to build brands, drive engagements, and increase billings.
All it takes to install this handy tool is one-click. This platform integration tool is a powerful combination of HubSpot’s inbound marketing intelligence and EPiServer’s superior content management capabilities.
“When people change, your content has to change”.
- Different users are going to use your website to satisfy different needs. The HubSpot – EPiServer Connector uses exclusive data about a single website visitor – for instance a brochure they downloaded, or a page they visited – and uses this data to churn out the content relevant to their field of interest. This enables companies to wade through the clutter and get right down to business.
- And then there is the type of information that you may want a certain geographical segment of customers to be exposed to. Or a certain email list. HubSpot intelligence helps create a personalized customer approach based on real-time data drawn from website visits and viewing habits of customers.
- Running a full-blown email campaign for the holiday season? You can use HubSpot to connect an email campaign to the specific website content.
- HubSpot’s advanced features also enable you to add web-to-lead forms onto the EPiServer content by using the drag and drop mechanism.
When a visitor views your website for the very first time, they will be exposed to ‘default content’. This could be a company profile, vision and mission statements, a generic idea about the products you sell, and so on. Once the visitor is actively engaged with your website; if he/she has downloaded a brochure or visited a specific page, they immediately become registered with the system and their viewing habits and website browsing history are noted. For example, if you visit a website for the first time, it would probably say, ‘Welcome to (Company Name)” along with a meta description of the company and the services it provides. When you visit the same website for next time, it might recognize you using HubSpot-EPiServer Connector.
This is what happens when a visitor is recognized by the HubSpot – EpiServer Connector. HubSpot recognizes the user and identifies if he/she has viewed a webinar, or downloaded a whitepaper, and creates highly targeted content that speaks directly with the customer.
While many companies have reaped the benefits of personalized marketing, a study by EPiServer shows that a huge chunk, almost 64%, do not offer personalized content on their websites. Many are of the notion that such advanced technology and tools are not available with 60% claiming that currently available systems are ‘satisfactory’, ‘poor’, and ‘very poor’. 45% stated that their companies were not in a position to fully reap the benefits of such a tool given that no time and resources have been invested in the formation of relevant data.
How do they do it?
So, now that we know what it can do for a potential marketing experience, let us decode how it works. Essentially, special visitor groups are created by using HubSpot metrics:
- Form submission – Data is pulled when a visitor fills out a HubSpot form.
- Lifecycle stage – This classifies visitors according to their position in the customer lifecycle. For instance, they could be new visitors, could be a lead or an already existing customer.
- List member – This handpicks those visitors who are already part of a list – this could include subscribers of lists that are custom-created by the company.
- Property choice list – Here, content is personalized based on contact role, persona or custom-defined property.
- Property date time range – Content is personalized based on when the customer first visited your website, or when they downloaded a particular file from your website, or perhaps when they received an emailer in the past.
- Property number range – Content is personalized based on numbers. The number of times a customer visited your website, number of times they clicked a particular link, or number of emailers they received.
- Property text value – Here, classifications are based on text. Custom properties like cities, countries, industries or sectors are defined and these are used to target content to specific users.
A permutation combination of these variables can be applied to create broader visitor groups that will help your company showcase information that is tailor-made for your audience.
Personalization is changing the very face of marketing. Every customer has a voice. And there is no dearth of forums via which customers can easily express themselves to a worldwide audience. It is up to every brand to dissect every detail of their customers’ unique histories and use it to deliver relevant content.
So, do you think this tool has the potential to change the face of your marketing and sales strategy? Leave your comments here.
To know more about Suyati’s expertise on HubSpot and EPiServer, please send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org